Thursday, November 23, 2006

Stuffed

Like many other Americans, I'm sitting here on the sofa being thankful for elastic. I usually do Thanksgiving dinner, although some years we have been know to go out. This year, I tried a few different items on the menu.

There was smoked turkey. It's a bit chilly, so smoking took quite awhile. We put the turkey in the smoker at 11:30 last night and it was perfectly ready for dinner at 5 pm. I'm a bad blogger and didn't take a picture of my own turkey, but it looked just like this one. The recipe can be found here. It was really tasty, with a good smoky flavor and fall off the bone tender. I think we'll do that again, for sure!

Of course, I had an assistant in the kitchen. She kept a very, very close eye on all activities. Gypsy's tongue is just amazing; she can lick both sides of a spoon (or a beater) at the same time.

My Mom can't have nuts anymore, so instead of pecan pie, I made some butter tarts. I searched around on the 'net until I found a recipe that sounded good and easy. I used craisins instead of currants or raisins and they're quite good. I also made a batch of Hot Cranberry Cider. It sure smelled good. I have no idea how it actually tasted as it was gone by the time I had a chance to try it.

While vacationing in Nova Scotia this summer, I caught a beastly cold. Since I sure wasn't in any condition to drive anywhere, I wandered down to the pub and asked the bartender to just fix me something to knock the cold down (or maybe me, didn't matter at the time). I suspect it may have been one of the Yarn Harlot's preferred beverages.

On the way home (and feeling much better), I figured I would just stop at the Duty Free and get some. No such luck. They do not carry it, nor do any of the local liquor stores.

Thanks, Mom, you rock!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Screech is, indeed a preferred beverage of mine. Try it with egg nog.

Calling on Kahlo said...

Thanks for the suggested recipe for the Turkey. I am always willing to try new things and that sounds like a winner.