Monday, September 18, 2006
Yep, it's beginning to feel much more fall-like around here. We often get many rainy days in the fall, but I think there's been a bit much when you get fungi like this on the top of a hill. The single one is close to 8 inches across.
The good news is that I actually have apples on one of my apple trees. I have six of them; they have been in the ground for close to 10 years and this is the first time there have been apples. It's been so long that I forget what variety they are, but I think these are one of the disease-resistant MacIntosh types. I'm beside myself with excitement. It looks like there are enough on one of the trees to make apple butter.
We've also had grapevines planted for quite a few years. I am quite remiss when it comes to pruning them properly, but they forgive me regularly. I also often forget about them completely and don't get the grapes picked at all. There is currently quite the bumper crop of grapes, but there is a large pest invading them. I had assumed that bunnies had been eating the lower clusters.
Yes, I know that grapes/raisins are bad for your dog, but Gypsy doesn't seem to eat enough to cause a problem. I'll pick those first and get some grape jelly put up.