Sunday, October 22, 2006

Saturday at Rhinebeck

Wow. I was completely unprepared for how big and how many people would be at Rhinebeck! You could not ask for a nicer day: sunny, the trees at peak color and just cool enough to wear a sweater. There were so many choices of fibers, raw, processed, natural, dyed, in batts and in rovings. There were thousands (maybe millions) of choices of yarns of everything from laceweights to super bulkys in every color combination imaginable. When you weren't looking at fibery wonders in the booths, you could watch people. It seemed like almost everyone was wearing something knitted. It was serious eye candy!

I played and participated in Rhinebeck Blogger Bingo. I didn't manage to check off everyone on my card (or even get a bingo), but I did find Beverly, Cynthia, Spider, Katy, Dana, Beth, Stacey, Cathy, Iris, Dawn, Deb, Sorka and, of course, Stitchy. I also ran into Amy, Juno and Stephanie. It was truly delightful to meet fellow bloggers, not to mention completely overwhelming at how many of us were there.

As far as stash enhancement goes, I was quite restrained. There is a ball of Meilenweit Mega Boots Stretch in an appealing blue and red colorway, because, after all, I must get sock yarn whereever I go. A ball of fabulous looking (and feeling) laceweight from Skaska Designs. Galina cashed me out; I felt like I had met royalty! Last, but not least, 1 pound of CVM. It's washed and only needs a bit of flicking to be ready to spin. Want a closer look? Here you go.

Today brought two new additions to our household: a mom and baby chinchillas. DD adopted them from the local humane society today. Bubba is checking them out and they really don't seem too concerned at all. The mom is the largest chinchilla I've ever seen. It's a real shame chinchilla fur is short because they are one of the softest critters you can cuddle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Diane, I linked to you from DancesWithWool. I live in Mississauga, Ontario. I was interested to read that you have a sock knitting machine. I got one in the summer from ebay. It's a Legare 400. It was in good condition except for a lot of dirt and I have gotten it up and running. It's a lot of fun and makes great socks. Good luck with your machine.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I'm glad you got to go to Rhinebeck...and a little envious!